Basic descriptions and rules.
Weapons requiring registration and tracked by the NFA (National Firearms Act) along with the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms & Explosives)
- A shotgun having a barrel or barrels less than 18 inches in length.
- A weapon made from a shotgun that has an overall length of less than 26 inches
- A rifle having a barrel less than 16 inches in length.
- A weapon made from a rifle that has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
- A Machine gun (discharging more than 1 round with a single pull of a trigger)
- A silencer, muffler, suppressor or any device that diminishes the report of a firearm.
- A destructive device or any other device (pen guns, cane guns, etc...)
- Curio & Relics (machine guns and certain other devices only)
All of these weapons are tracked by the Treasury Department and BATF. In order to own one of these weapons you must have prior approval from the BATF and pay the special TAX as required by law to the NFA. Possession of any of these weapons by a non licensed individual is a Felony and punishable under state and Federal law.
Building or manufacturing a machine gun is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and up to a 250,000 dollar fine or both!